Congress Hotel The Congress Hotel, Pueblo, Colorado

The four-story section of the building (on the left) was originally the Grand Hotel, erected in 1882–1883 at the southeast corner of 8th and Santa Fe. The Grand was long considered one of Pueblo’s best and most luxurious hotels. Rates at the Grand in 1883 were from $3.00 to $4.00 a night.

In 1909, the Eighteenth national Irrigation Congress was set to convene in Pueblo in September of the following year. In anticipation of the event, J. Parker Whitney, principal owner of the Grand, sold the hotel at a “liberal” price (taking a large amount of the bonds and stock in payment) to Pueblo businessmen led by George D. Meston. Architects drew plans, and by mid-February 1910, work had begun on construction of a new mission-style addition to the hotel extending south to 7th Street. The attached Grand Hotel, by then nearly 30 years old, was remodeled to coordinate with the new structure.

The new complex, becoming known as the Congress Hotel, was completed in plenty of time to host the Irrigation Congress in September 1910. It remained a popular hotel for about half a century, until it was torn down to make way for the Town House Motor Hotel.

—PCHS postcard collection