The Colorado-Kansas Railroad—CA. 1910
Early in the 20th century, a promoter came up with the idea of developing the Arkansas valley between garden City, Kansas, and Pueblo, with dams, irrigation projects, power plants, and the Kansas-Colorado electric railroad, which would terminate beneath a hotel in downtown Pueblo. This never got off the ground. Pueblo businessmen picked up what assets there were and established the Colorado-Kansas railroad to haul Turkey Creek stone and other natural resources from the Stone City area northwest of Pueblo into the city. Mrs. Andrew McClelland drove the last spike, signifying completion of the railroad, on November 23, 1909. The railroad operated for nearly half a century, and remains of the grade may be seen in the west part of the city and north of U.S. 50 in Pueblo West.